Are you looking for the perfect medium-sized guard dog to protect your home and family? If so, you’ve come to the right place. In this blog post, we’ll go over everything you need to know about choosing the right guard dog for you. We’ll cover topics such as choosing the right breed, getting your guard dog used to its surroundings, and training your guard dog. But guarding the home and family doesn’t depend upon the size of the dogs. So if you’re ready to get started on finding the best guard dog for your home and family, read on!
We have a list of the best medium to large-size family protection dogs that guards your house and family without making you disappointed.
List of 5 Best Medium-Sized Guard Dogs
- Shar Pie Dog
- Chow, Chow Dog
- German shepherd Dog
- Akita Dog
- Australian Cattle Dog
1 – Shar Pei Dog
The dog from southern China is most used traditionally for the purpose of watching the house and property.
This dog has prominent wrinkles on the face. These dogs are not breaded from other dogs but they are a pure breed of their type.
They are mostly found with the rescue teams as they are very energetic and have a lot of abilities to work with the proper rescue teams.
They are the best medium-sized guard dogs. They are small in size and sometimes medium but they are very active companions of yours.
They can bring you the ball, they can guard your property and home and they can even inform you about alarming situations.
They have some properties discussed below:
- They are apartment-friendly as you can have multiple reviews about their behaviors.
- They are very sensitive and easily attached to the owner.
- They can survive when they are alone but they mostly enjoy the company of their owner.
- They can not survive in hot weather.
- Never leave your kids alone with them while playing.
- They can survive in any kind of environment.
- They are small and medium in size.
- They cannot be trained so easily; you have to put effort into them.
- They bark too much so your neighbor can get irritated with them.
- The average lifespan of a Shar Pei dog is 11 to 12 years.
- They are found in all kinds of colors but not that white color.
- They were found in the list of small guard dogs.
2 – Chow, Chow Dog
Chow, Chow Dogs are another type of medium-sized guard dog, these dogs are very beautiful and they look like lions with fur on their body.
They are good companions when they have trained accordingly. You have to be more careful in terms of Chow Chow as they do not like to play alone and are left alone inside the home and apartments.
Never leave your kids with them as they can get furious easily.
Some other terms you have to be careful of:
- They can be kept in the apartments but you have to train them accordingly so they could act accordingly.
- They behave oddly when they are left alone.
- They enjoy every type of weather. But most of the time they love to live in cold weather but get irritated and behave oddly in hot weather.
- They are not much socialized and they act differently with neighbors, kids,, and friends.
- They can not be trained so easily. They actually require complete attention.
- The average lifespan of a chow chow is 15 to 16 years.
- They are found in different colors like grey, black, cream, blue, and red.
3 – German Shepherd Dog
German shepherd dogs are the most known dogs breeds worldwide. The reason is simple and solid. They are very good in all the qualities that any dog has.
Their mind and intelligence level are above all the dogs. They are very active in their work and can perform almost all kinds of tasks that they have learned.
They are mostly found on jogging tracks with their owners. These are the best dogs that are known for guard dogs that don’t shed. They are very active and playful.
Other properties are as follows:
- They are good and should be pets for the apartments.
- They are very sensitive and tell you about alarming situations.
- They can live in cold weather and can survive in hot weather too.
- They are pure American breed.
- They can live up to 15 years but the average lifespan of these dogs is 10 to 13 years.
- They are found in all colors and mostly known colors are black, sliver, black and silver, red and black.
- They are the most friendly breed and can survive with your family.
- They are kid-friendly and you can leave your kids with them alone while playing.
- They can be trained easily.
- They are friendly toward strangers but they can sound odd in an alarming situation.
- They have the best energy level.
- They have good potential to play with you and with your kids.
4 – Akita Guard Dog
Akita dogs are the most common breed in Japan and they are cute in their look and loving pet as well.
The average lifespan of these dogs is 10 to 12 years but if you care for them with care, they can live up to 15 years.
They are the best medium-sized guard dogs as they have served the royal family for years.
They have the following properties:
- Many royal personalities used them for hunting boars when they go for a hunt.
- They are brave dogs and can not be set down easily.
- These dogs love adventures so they can not be put inside the apartment.
- Their life is spent always doing adventures so you can not put them in a home for doing nothing and playing with your kids.
- They are loyal to their owner or master and whatever the consequences they will never let you down by their actions.
- They can bark with loud voices and their tendency to howl is low.
5 – Australian Cattle Dog
These dogs are another type of medium-sized guard dogs without their tail. These dogs are known for their no-tail.
It is not the always the same but most of the time they do not have tail. These dogs are more active than the previous discussed breeds.
They are sharp-minded and smart with their body and decision-making sense. So, we can say that they are the best medium to large-size family protection dogs that can guard the property and home in the best the town.
They have the following properties:
- They can be kept inside the apartment.
- They can live in hot weather and in cold weather as well.
- They can be found all over the world not only in Australia.
- They are not shy when they are alone but they perform all the task necessary to guard the home.
- They have love for the family and for the kids.
- They play a typical role in playfulness with the kids and should be watched when playing with the dogs.
- They are not much friendly toward strangers.
- They are easy to train but you have to do more hard work on them to get the most wanted results.
- They can be used and trained for hunting.
- They can act intelligent as well as perform complex tasks.
- They love to do adventures.
- The average lifespan of these dogs are 10 to 15 years.
How should be the Medium Sized Guard Dogs?
- It is clear thing that the guard dog should be active that don’t shed their selves for rest.
- They should bark at strangers to notify the owner but they should remain friendly with family and friends.
- The dogs should be loyal to the master and watchful the size doesn’t matter.
- The duty of the dogs should not be to notify you about strangers but they should also be alert about danger.
- They should shed when they are needed.
- They should be intelligent.
- They should be alarming.
- They should act cool.
- They should never bark at friend and family.
- They should be adventurous as well playfulness.
Guard dogs can be an invaluable asset to any home or business. Not only do they provide security and peace of mind, but they also offer loyal companionship, protection from potential intruders, and even an early warning system for fires and other emergencies. However, it’s important to choose the right guard dog for your specific needs.